The COVID-19 pandemic has certainly forced businesses to re-evaluate their operations, infrastructure, and efficiencies. One common area of concern arising amid a global public health crisis is general health. As the uncertainty, fear, and stress of the ongoing COVID-19 situation continues, now might be the best time for employers to explore ancillary benefits.
Here are some of the top ancillary benefits that may be worthwhile to explore during this time.
- Telehealth. Telehealth has become more prominent as face-to-face meetings of any sort have become scarce amid the current pandemic. Telehealth offers immediate access to a broad network of board-certified healthcare professionals to address most non-emergency medical issues via phone or online video consultations. Healthcare providers are able to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication for medical issues like cold and flu, allergies, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, pink eye, ear infections, and much more. Telehealth can reduce risk exposure during travel or in-person doctor office visits. Other benefits may include higher employee participation (i.e., affordability), lower employee absences (i.e., for medical appointments), and improved overall health.
- Critical Illness. Critical illness typically provides additional funds to the policyholder to help cover expenses of an illness covered under the insurance policy (i.e., cancer, stroke, heart attack). Financial stressors have already resulted from the pandemic. The last thing your employees likely want to deal with are expenses from a critical illness.
- Mental Health. Mental health has been significantly impacted by COVID-19 due to social isolation, financial stressors, fear and uncertainty of the public health crisis, and other pre-existing mental health issues. Now is the time to invest in mental health service coverage if you haven’t already. Mental health is just as important as physical health.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP). EAPs are employer-sponsored programs designed to assist employees and employers to resolve personal problems that may impact their professional life. These issues may include mental health, familial, legal, and financial factors that can contribute to professional hardships. Online EAP services are also available to cover a wide range of needs.
- Life. While it is something nobody likes to think about, life insurance provides financial assistance should the unthinkable happen to employees listed as head of household. Life insurance can be used to assist surviving family members to pay off a mortgage, support childcare needs, and overall daily life expenses.
Please don’t wait until you need benefits. If you’re looking for a comprehensive employee benefits package that can be customized to your employees’ needs, please contact Harbor America. Our benefits specialists can provide you competitive, affordable healthcare services, as well as alternative healthcare options to ensure your employees’ well-being.